Bullock County Courthouse Historic District
1 - Red Door Theatre (Former Trinity Episcopal Church) (1909), Corner of Prairie Street and
The small brick church features Gothic arches and German art stained glass. It is built on the site of the old Eley family cemetery. The architect, Kennon Perry, was in high school when he designed this structure. The church is the new home of the Red Door Theatre.
2 - Old City Cemetery and Log Cabin located at the rear of the Red Door Theatre
The three-room log cabin, built in 1851, has been authentically refurnished with period pieces and features a lovely stone fireplace and chimney. Be sure to take a walk through the old City Cemetery, where B. J. Baldwin and his wife, Nancy, some of the original Union Springs settlers, are buried. A monument honors the Confederate dead, although both Union and Confederate soldiers share a final resting place in the shade of oaks and pine trees.
3 - Carnegie Library (1911-1912), 103 N. Prairie Street
Classic Revival-Beaux arts design. A notable landmark, the 1911 library features original antique furniture, lighting fixtures, and mahogany woodwork, as well as a stage, dressing rooms and movie projection room situated on the lower level. The library was beautifully restored in 2010 and is one of a handful of Carnegie Libraries still in operation as a library.
4 - First Baptist Church, 105 N. Prairie Street
The church's 1859 wood frame structure remains in place beneath the 1903 brick facade. The church served as a meeting place for many Civil Rights meetings during the 1960s. Visible from the street are the building's many large original stained glass windows. The church still has a slave gallery in the sanctuary.
5 - Josephine Cultural Arts Building (1880), 130 N. Prairie Street
Across from the Baptist church is the former Josephine Hotel. Built by R. A. Fleming and named for his wife Josephine, it was later known as Drummers Hotel and Commercial Hotel.
6 - Bird Dog Field Trial Monument; Intersection of Prairie Street and E. Hardaway Avenue
The Bird Dog Field Trial Monument (click on LINK link for more information) pays tribute to Bullock County's unexcelled upland game country, bird dogs, and the men and women who participate in the sport of field trialing. It was erected in 1996 during the 75th year of the annual National Amateur Free-for-All Shooting Dog Championship. On February 21, 1996, the City of Union Springs and the Tourism Council dedicated this life-size bronze statue of the pointer. Sculpted by Bob Wehle, the monument pays tribute to the 12 men honored by the Bird Dog Field Trial Hall of Fame. The names of the honorees are engraved on the south side of the monument. The Field Trial Mural, dedicated in February 2017 can be seen on the building of the southeast corner of the interesection.
7 - Blues Grocery Building, 103 E. Hardaway Avenue
Distinctive concrete block construction with a rustic texture. It is enhanced by a stepped parapet that is flat at the highest point.
8 - United States Post Office (1930's), 108 E. Hardaway Avenue
A well-kept example of the public buildings of that era it has original fixtures and woodwork.The newer construction methods of the 1930's still required the use of the mule and wagon. Largely preserved as it originally appeared in the 1930s, a visit to the post office gives a simple but authentic look into the past.
9 - Union Springs Pharmacy (1871), 204 N. Prairie Street
Window cornices are still intact. The Stewart family offers tourists a free cup of coffee and looks forward to friendly conversation.
10 - Bullock County Courthouse (1871-1872), 217 N. Prairie Street
The Bullock County Courthouse was built in the Second Empire style. It sits adjacent to a beautiful landscaped park and gazebo. The designers of the courthouse patterned the building after an executive building located in Washington, D.C. The courthouse underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in 1992 that updated systems and restored many fine features. A unique collection of historic photos of Union Springs hangs on the walls of the courthouse.
11 - 1897 Pauly Jail, behind the 200 block of Prairie Street
The oldest surviving jail in the state, the Pauly Jail contains a gallows and trap door still visible on the third floor. The jail which sits behind the 1871 Second Empire Style Courthouse is adjacent to a beautiful landscape park and gazebo. The designers of the Courthouse patterned the building after an executive building that is located in Washington, D.C.
Follow this LINK for more information on the Pauly Jail.
12 - Jinks, Crow & Dickson Law Offices (1887), 219 N. Prairie Street
This is an outstanding restoration of the former First National Bank building. The Western Union offices were upstairs. Today, the wooden doors and windows have been carefully restored to show the original look of the building.
13 - Anderson Hardware Store, 227 N. Prairie Street
An old-fashioned hardware, it's the oldest continuously operating business in town (150 years).
14 - Bullock County Heritage Museum, 230 N. Prairie Street
Once was used as a grocery store, cafe, pool room and hardware store. Also, many "five and dime" stores occupied the building. Houses moonshine stills, country store memorabilia and a tribute to the eleven men from Bullock County who are in the Bird Dog Hall of Fame. Not currently open,
15 - Main Drug & Gifts, 302 N. Prairie Street
First brick building on Prairie St., it was built by Capt. W.C. Wilson in 1867 as a mercantile store with a saloon in the basement.
16 - Union Springs City Police Station - Former City Hall (1888), 303 N. Prairie Street
The bottom floor was originally used to house fire engines. The third floor housed the Masonic Lodge. Notice the Masonic emblem above the front entrance. In 2003 City Hall officially moved to 212 N. Prairie Street.
North Prairie-Chunnenuggee Ridge Residences
16b - Foster-Chapman House (Laurel Hill; 1852-1856), 201 Kennon Avenue
Built in by Sterling Foster, it is the ancestral home of Virginia Foster Durr.The house is perhaps Alabama's finest surviving example of the Moorish Revival style, also variously grouped under the designation Gothic Revival or Oriental Revival.The four square, columned, two story frame house with striking ogee arches contained within the composition of the portico offers a rare representation of the imposition of the Moorish Revival style upon the sober, symmetrical Greek Revival form.
17 - Pierce-Chancy-Jinks House (1931), 329 N. Prairie Street
Originally referred to as "Piercliff", the house has a Classic revival look, and was built in 1931. An elaborate staircase was built for the Pierce daughter's wedding, but she eloped instead.
18 - Mabson-Wadsworth House (1885), 402 N. Prairie Street
Italianate town house style with bracketed eaves.
19 - Blount-Daniel House (The Cedars; 1940), 401 N. Prairie Street
Known as "The Cedars," this home was built in the style of a Georgian Manor home. The architect was Kennon Perry (also architect of Trinity Episcopal Church, now the Red Door Theatre, that he designed as a senior in high school), and the home was originally built for the family of Winton Blount, philanthropist and former U.S. Postmaster General.
20 - Singleton-Whyte House (The Victoria; 1895) 403 N. Prairie Street
Delicate gingerbread, spindle work and ornate windows. Bay window and hexagonal roof are traits of Queen Anne style. Built by Judge A. E. Singleton, this home has original wood shingles on the turret.
21 - Mabson-Anderson House (1857), 420 N. Prairie Street
Greek Revival home with Victorian characteristics. Tall, boxed columns.
22 - Stakely-Smithart House (1873, 1913), 504 N. Prairie Street
Original structure dates from 1873; the second floor was added in 1913.
23 - Moore-Maxwell House (c. 1890's), 103 Miles Avenue
One story gabled cottage; Greek Revival home with Victorian characteristics. Tall boxed columns.
24 - Edwards-Smoker House (1911), 101 Miles Avenue
The Edwards-Smoker House boasts a pyramidal roof, multiple gables, and 10 large boxed columns spanning the wrap-around porch. Here at the end of the road it's easy to see how the Prairie Street houses are built along Chunnenuggee Ridge. The house was built by Thomas Edwards who founded the First National Bank in Union Springs in 1904.
The historically measured highest point in Union Springs is at 105 Miles Street, the Miles-Cochran home.
A bronze marker in the yard marks the spot.
Turn and retrace one block of Prairie Street, then turn left on Hunter Avenue.
25 - Caldwell-Siddiq House (1903), 108 Hunter Avenue
Color scheme is reminiscent of the "Painted Ladies" Victorian homes in San Francisco, California. Site of the first "bed & breakfast" in Union Springs. Not currently open for visitors.
26 - Hunter-Anderson House (c. 1843), 109 Hunter Avenue
The oldest house in Union Springs; the original two rooms and hall date from 1843.
Heading south on Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., (Highway 29), turn left on Chunnenuggee Avenue.
Down the hill past several small houses is St. Paul's United Methodist Church.
Turn around here and return to find a parking spot so you can walk and get a feel for the historic neighborhood.
27 - Saint Paul's United Methodist Church (1903), Chunnenuggee Avenue
Beautiful white wood frame building. Steeple tower above entrance.
28 - Smith-Lyskancyz House (1842-43), 201 Chunnenuggee Avenue
One story Greek Revival style. Built by H. H. Smith, one of the most prominent pioneers of Union Springs. Notice double doors at the entrance with an overhead transom.
29 - Norman-Altman House (1909-1910), 210 Chunnenuggee Avenue
This stately turn-of-the-century classic revival style home has a centered eyebrow window dormer and a verandah entablature that is supported by Corinthian columns.
30 - McCaslan-Branch House (1858), 204 Chunnenuggee Avenue
The McCaslan-Branch House (1858) was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1996.
31 - Moseley-Perkins House (1897), 116 Chunnenuggee Avenue
Built by F.M. Moseley; the iron fence was added the following year. Notice the stables in back. This home features several stained glass windows.
32 - Culver-Ayers House, 111 Chunnenuggee Avenue
Huge columns and stained glass make this classical revival residence a showplace. Remodeled in 1892 by Maj. Isaac F. Culver, state commissioner of agriculture. Later owned and remodeled by John W. Wright, builder of Union Springs and Northern Railroad.
33 - Riley-Hitchcock-Bickerstaff House (1897), 110 Chunnenuggee Avenue
Former home of Jimmy Hitchcock, Auburn University All-American football star.
Execute a U-turn at the end of the street and head back to Martin Luther Jr. Blvd. (Highway 29).
Head south to E. Hardaway Avenue.
34 - Union Springs Presbyterian Church (1883), 203 E. Hardaway Avenue
Majestic lines, steeply pitched roof and beautiful stained glass. Folding seats came from one of the local opera houses. A Philadelphia architect developed this design based on a Congregational Church in Pennsylvania.
35 - Cope-Parsley House (1903), 305 E. Hardaway Avenue
This Queen Anne is enhanced with turret finials and small leaded glass windows on the tower. It has a large verandah. Built by E.H. Cope.
From E. Hardaway turn right on Cooper Street
and after viewing Wayman Chapel, turn right on Blackmon Avenue.
36 - Wayman Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (1882), 107 Cooper Street
The Wayman Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church is a Gothic Revival house of worship. It was modeled after the mother church in Pennsylvania.
37 - Miles Warehouse, 102 Abercrombie Street
Around the comer from Wayman Chapel, is the cotton warehouse and across the street, remains of the old cotton weighing station and gin.
South Powell-South Prairie Area Residences
38 - First United Methodist Church (1903-1904) 101 S. Powell Street
A Methodist congregation built the First United Methodist Church on this site in 1861. The present Gothic Revival building showcases the finest example of German art glass windows in the South. The interior of the sanctuary is largely preserved as it appeared over 100 years ago, including the wood floors, banisters, exposed, solid wood ceiling beams, and plaster walls.
39 - Methodist Parsonage, Eley House (1905) 102 Powell Street
Queen Anne design features Eastlake spindlework. Turret with conical roof; encircling veranda has spindle-type balustrade.
Continue on Blackmon Avenue.
Turn left at the intersection of S. Prairie Street.
40 - Gachet-Branch-Berry House (1871), 104 S. Prairie Street
Typical Greek Revival. The first shot of the Civil War was fired on the U.S. ship "Star of the West" by order of Col. John Luther Branch in command of the Confederate forces on Morris Island, Charleston Harbor on January 8, 1861. Branch is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery.
41 - Frazer-King House (1892), 108 S. Prairie Street
This typical Gay 90's house has lots of varied trim, decorative glass, windows and lattice.
42 - Frazer-Hall House (1870's), 109 S. Prairie Street
Boyhood home of Gov. Jelks who served from 1901-1907. The second story mansard roof was added in 1885.
43 - Rainer-Muhammad House (1874), 201 S. Prairie Street
Built by William Rainer for his bride, Celia Baldwin. Italianate influence and rough stucco exterior finish.
44 - Frazer-Ansley House (1890), 206 S. Prairie Street
A variation of George F. Barber's "Cottage Souvenir #2" plan in a catalog of house designs by Barber Publications.
Turn left on Holcombe Avenue.
45 - First Missionary Baptist Church (1891), 108 Holcombe Avenue
The old frame building on this site was destroyed by a storm. The brick building that replaced it retains the style of the original. Recently an addition was built onto the rear side of the building. Immediately behind the church is the coal chute (1925) on the old Montgomery & Eufaula Railroad. This towering concrete structure dominates its surrounding landscape.
Turn left onto Powell Street.
46 - Keller-Tatum House (1903-1904), 204 S. Powell Street
The most active ghost in town occupies this one-and-a-half story Queen Anne home.
47 - Rainer-Lewis House (1904), 202 S. Powell Street
Impressive neo-classical revival with an ample portico, romantic second story balcony and a stained glass window on interior stairway. It has a column on the back.
Turn right on Seale Avenue, then take a left on MLK, Jr. (Highway 29).
48 - Rosenstihl-Reid House (Rosedale' 1906), 107 S. MLK, Jr. Blvd.
Gracious Queen Anne structure. Large veranda, Palladian touches, and etched, glass windows. Home of Helen Claire Smith, famous stage star.
The tour ends here, but you may want to visit other interesting sites in the county, such as . . .
Old Merritt School, Midway, Alabama
Just down the road in Midway, you will find this two-room white frame building. It was built for black elementary school children on two acres sold for $5 by Midway resident, Elizabeth Merritt. Frank and Mable Merritt later deeded property for the expansion of the Midway Colored Public School. The school was built in 1922 with matching Rosenwald fund. Today it is used as a community center.
One of the first public gardens in the United States, this five-acre plot northeast of town on the Peachburg Road was Alabama's first public garden. Developed by one of the earliest horticultural societies in the South, its cash crops, which included strawberries and cotton, helped pay for prizes that were awarded to the winners during the annual fair that is held each May. The Chunnenuggee Garden Club is the oldest charter garden club in the United States.
First Baptist Church
One of the main headquarters for voter registration and the site of many mass meetings during the '60's. The church is more than 120 years old.
National Amateur Free-for-All Field Trials (February 22)
Tourists are welcomed to the National Amateur Free-for-All Field Trials held in February. One must follow on horse. The trials are conducted at the 14,000 acre Sedgefield Plantation. Lewis B. Maytag, known for his patented washing machine, developed Sedgefield Plantation in the 1930's and established the National Amateur Shooting Dog Championships. Click on LINK for additional field trial information.